Consumer Credit Litigation
Alan Hochheiser of Maurice Wutscher LLP is a leading practitioner in the areas of creditors’ rights and bankruptcy law. He advises and represents businesses, regional and national banks, credit unions, equipment lessors and other lenders, as well as secured and unsecured creditors.
Among his accomplishments, he has successfully resolved non-dischargeable claims based upon fraud conversion and breach of fiduciary issues and has successfully handled the assumption of leases in the bankruptcy of a major airline.
Al has been named to ALM’s list of Cleveland’s Top-Rated Lawyers and is peer-rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, the worldwide guide to lawyers.
He is a frequent speaker and author on topics relevant to creditors’ rights and bankruptcy law.
His articles and presentations include:
- Specialty Recovery Panel – Are you compliant and maximizing these “special” segments of inventory?, RMAI Annual Conference, February 2020
- Converting a Chapter 13 to a Chapter 7 Absent the Debtor’s Consent, ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting, September 2019
- Seeing an Increase in Bankruptcy Filings? How to Prosper, Avoid Sanctions and Do It Right, NIADA/NABD Convention & Expo, June 2019
- Avoidance Updates: Fraudulent Conveyances, Preferences, and Unauthorized Post-Petition Transfers, ABA Business Law Section Spring Meeting, March 2019
- Current Legal Issues in Debt Buying: Industry Trends & Topics, RMA International Annual Conference, February 2019
- The 11th Circuit Court of Appeals Weighs In On New Value Preference Defense – Kaye v. Blue Bell Creameries, Inc. (In re BFW Liquidation, LLC), ABA Webinar, November 2018
- Caselaw Updates: Federal Appellate Bankruptcy Decisions for 2017-2018, ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting, September 2018
- Emerging Issues in Bankruptcy, RMA International Executive Summit, July 2018:
- Avoidances Relating to the Debtor’s Children: Tuition, Living Expenses, and Other Payments to or for Their Benefit, ABA Business Law Section Spring Meeting, April 2018
- Go All in with Specialty Debt Collection Laws and Strategies, RMA International Annual Conference, February 2018
- Hot Issues in Debt Consolidation and Bankruptcy for Lenders, LoanTape Legal and Regulatory Conference, January 2018
- The Nuts and Bolts of Chapter 13 & Practice Points, ABA Webinar, January 2018
- Recent Consumer Bankruptcy Law Developments Affecting Businesses Operating In That Environment, ABA Webinar, November 2017
- The New Chapter 13 Plan: What Debtors and Creditors Need to Know, ABA Webinar, November 2017
- Maximizing Recoveries through Debt Sales, Orlando Conference for Buy Here, Pay Here, October 2017
- Recent Consumer Bankruptcy Law Developments Affecting Businesses Operating in That Environment, ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting, September 2017
- A Look at FDCPA Regulation of Bankruptcy Practices after Midland Funding LLC v. Johnson, ABA Business Law Breaking News, May 2017
- The CFPB’s New Enforcement Tool: Bankruptcy Code Section 105, DBA International Webinar, March 2017
- Crawford Claims & Litigation Basics, Cincinnati Bar Association, December 2016
- Consumer Bankruptcy Hot Topics – What Utility Companies Need to Know, Bankruptcy Utility Conference, September 2016
- “Filing of Proof of Claims After Crawford – Has the Landscape Really Changed?” Co-Author, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, January 2016
- Credit Reporting & Bankruptcy – Latest Risks for Furnishers, The Consumer Financial Services Blog Webinar, August 2015
- Legal and Regulatory Update, REOMAC Summit, April 2015
- Crawford, Progeny – More Than Proofs of Claim on Time-Barred Debt, ABA Consumer Financial Services Committee Meeting, January 2015
- What Collection Attorneys Need to Know When a Debtor Files Bankruptcy, NARCA Bankruptcy Webinar, September 2014
- CFPB Actions Against Default Firms: Improper Affidavit Use and BK Scrubs, ALFN Legislative & Policy Group, September 2014
- Proof of Claim on Time-Barred Debt-What are the Risks?, Consumer Financial Services Blog Webinar, July 2014
- The CFPB: Where Are We Today?, American Legal Financial Network, July 2013
- Use of Turnaround Professionals in Fraudulent Conveyance and Other Avoidance Actions, Commercial Law League of America Spring Conference, 2013
- The CFPB: What Utility Companies Should Know, Bankruptcy Utility Conference, 2013
- “Garnishment Preferences and the Debtor’s Interest in Property,” Attorney at Law Magazine Northeast Ohio, May 2012
- Keeping Compliant: Tips for Attorneys and Servicers, Five Star Mortgage Conference, 2012
- Bankruptcy Claims, Mortgage Claims and Objections to Claims, 14th Annual White-Williams Bankruptcy Institute, 2010
- Creditors Remedies, Ohio State Bar Association, 2010
Al is the incoming Chair of the ABA Consumers Bankruptcy Committee, Consumer Committee member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, an associate member of the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees and a Creditors Auxiliary member of the National Association of Chapter 13 Trustees. Al is also a member of the American Bankers Association, ACA International, the International Association of Privacy Professionals, the Mortgage Bankers Association, RMAI, and the Ohio State Bar Association
In addition, Al actively volunteers for several civic associations in his community. He is a regular volunteer for the Montefiore Home-Fairmount Temple Mitzvah Corp., Past Vice President of ARMDI and Past President of the Fairmount Temple Brotherhood.
Al earned his Bachelor of Arts cum laude from the State University of New York at Albany and his Juris Doctor from Case Western Reserve University School of Law.
He is admitted to practice law in Ohio, the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third, Fourth, Sixth and Eleventh Circuits and the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio, the Western District of Pennsylvania and the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin, Western District of Tennessee and Western District of Arkansas.